The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo is set to deploy its first ceasefire monitoring team in the coming days, following talks hosted by Qatar in Doha.
Qatar’s foreign ministry said on Monday that the team would be deployed to Uvira, a strategic city in eastern Congo. The city was captured by fighters of the AFC/M23 rebel group in December during a rapid offensive, but was re-entered last month by Congolese forces and allied militias after the rebels announced their withdrawal, restoring government control.
The development signals progress in Doha-mediated direct talks between the Congolese government and the AFC/M23 rebels, who last year seized more territory in eastern Congo than at any previous point. Alongside the Doha process, the United States is hosting separate talks between Congo and Rwanda. The United Nations and several Western powers have accused Rwanda of backing the AFC/M23, an allegation Kigali has repeatedly denied.
According to the Qatari foreign ministry, both parties have agreed on detailed terms of reference for the ceasefire monitoring mechanism established under an agreement reached in October. They also reaffirmed their commitments under a broader peace framework signed in November.
Despite the diplomatic momentum, fighting has continued in parts of eastern Congo. Over the weekend, Congolese authorities said explosive-laden drones targeted the airport serving the northeastern city of Kisangani.
If confirmed to be the work of the AFC/M23, the attack would mark the furthest west the group has struck in its campaign against the government in Kinshasa.