The World Health Organization (WHO) African Region has cautioned against panic over the ongoing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda.
The organisation said, “Fear by itself is an outbreak,” adding that “Ebola is highly manageable.”
Prof. Mohamed Janabi, the World Health Organization Regional Director for Africa, made the remarks while reacting to the outbreak in the DRC and Uganda.
Janabi, a cardiologist, urged the public to rely on accurate information and avoid panic.
He explained that the classification would help bring the outbreak to international attention, mobilise resources more quickly, and ensure coordinated action among countries.
“Ebola is a severe, often fatal illness affecting humans and other primates,” he said.
“But it does not mean people should panic. It means the global system is working as it should, detecting and responding decisively,” he added, calling on the media to disseminate correct information.
“Fear by itself is an outbreak,” he reiterated.
READ ALSO:Â WHO Declares Ebola Outbreak in DR Congo Health Emergency
He further explained that the outbreak had been recorded in two countries, the DRC and Uganda, adding that health authorities, with support from the WHO, were already identifying cases, tracing contacts, and implementing response strategies.
“This has been classified as an emergency of international concern. This is the highest alert WHO can issue, which helps bring international attention, mobilise resources more quickly, and ensure countries work together in a coordinated way,” he said.
Janabi said the WHO had been working with relevant authorities and the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention to strengthen contact tracing, treatment, and cross-border surveillance.
“We are engaging communities to raise awareness and strengthen cross-border surveillance to prevent further spread.”
“We are mobilising partners across Africa to ensure affected countries receive the expertise and support they need.”
He added that vaccination alone was not sufficient to control Ebola, stressing the importance of surveillance, contact tracing, and treatment.
As of Saturday, May 16, health authorities had recorded eight laboratory-confirmed cases, 246 suspected cases, and 80 suspected deaths in Ituri Province in eastern DRC.
Unconfirmed reports also indicated a case in the rebel-held city of Goma in North Kivu Province, a densely populated city of about one million people.
The confirmed case was reportedly the wife of a man who died after contracting Ebola in Bunia, capital of Ituri Province.
Another patient who travelled from Bunia to Beni in North Kivu also tested positive for the virus.
Cases have also been reported in Kinshasa and across the border in Uganda, where infected individuals who travelled from the DRC were admitted to intensive care.
Uganda’s capital, Kampala, has also been affected, according to the WHO.
The agency said it is supporting government-led response efforts with health professionals on the ground and essential medical supplies already deployed.
It warned that the outbreak may be larger than currently detected, citing clusters of unexplained deaths, a high positivity rate among tested samples, and a limited understanding of transmission patterns.
At least four deaths among healthcare workers have raised concerns over infection prevention and control in health facilities.
The UN agency also noted that there is currently no approved therapy or vaccine for the Bundibugyo virus responsible for the outbreak.
It warned that insecurity, humanitarian crises, high population movement, and weak healthcare systems are increasing the risk of spread, as previously seen during the 2018–2019 Ebola outbreak in North Kivu and Ituri provinces.
Meanwhile, experts from the Global Preparedness Monitoring Board (GPMB) warned that the world remains vulnerable to future pandemics.