Saudi Arabian authorities have announced the completion of extensive operational preparations for the 2026 Hajj season, deploying over 22,000 workers, 88,000 waste units, and advanced smart technologies to improve safety, sanitation, and services for millions of pilgrims expected in the Kingdom.
The preparations form part of an integrated operational plan coordinated by multiple Saudi agencies to enhance the experience of worshippers arriving from across the world for the annual pilgrimage.
According to an official statement, the large-scale deployment is designed to serve pilgrims round the clock throughout the Hajj period.
The authorities disclosed that more than 13,000 cleaning workers have been assigned to maintain hygiene standards across the holy sites and surrounding areas.
READ ALSO:Â Saudi Arabia Announces May 18 First Day of Dhul Hijjah
They also announced the deployment of over 88,000 waste units and 1,235 waste compactors as part of a comprehensive waste-management system aimed at maintaining environmental cleanliness and reducing congestion in high-density locations.
Saudi officials said the operational plan includes more than 3,000 vehicles and specialised equipment to strengthen emergency response capabilities and improve service efficiency.
They added that 66 municipal service centres have been strategically positioned across key locations to support operations during the pilgrimage.
As part of preventive health and safety measures, five permanent and mobile laboratories have also been activated to support food safety inspections and field monitoring, with more than 1.3 million samples expected to be examined daily.
The authorities noted that this year’s preparations also feature digital and smart innovations under broader technology transformation programmes, including mobile laboratories, automated street-cleaning systems, smart traps, compacting waste containers, and cold asphalt technologies.
Meanwhile, the General Authority for the Care of the Affairs of the Grand Mosque and the Prophet’s Mosque announced its full readiness for the Hajj season, confirming the completion of operational plans for both the Grand Mosque and the Prophet’s Mosque.
The authority said interactive guidance systems and digital maps have been activated, while field guidance teams have been equipped with instant translation devices to assist pilgrims from different nationalities.
It added that service systems have been expanded to include Zamzam water distribution, carpeting, transport carts, facility maintenance, and continuous mechanisms for measuring pilgrim satisfaction and improving operational performance.
According to the authority, the entire system is being managed through an integrated operational model focused on efficiency, preventive maintenance, and rapid field response through an engineering command and control centre.
Saudi officials said about 1.8 million pilgrims are expected to participate in the 2026 Hajj, while the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah disclosed that more than 860,000 foreign pilgrims had already arrived in the Kingdom as of mid-May, with airlift operations continuing.